Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Why I'm Walking Funny Today: The Secret to Soreness

They're not very happy with me right now. See the nasty
looks they're giving me???

Now, I realize that some of you reading this will be thinking, "Why would I want to be sore? Why would I want to walk funny?" You must understand that, after nearly a decade of exercise and martial arts training, it's exciting when I do something that makes my muscles sore.

You see...

Muscle soreness, although not very pleasant, is a good indication of an awesome workout. That doesn't mean that I don't normally work hard, but I am often limited by equipment available or by time.

Wait...

Some of you are probably still not convinced that being sore is a good thing.

Let's look at it another way:

How many of you are dissatisfied with your results? How many of you have been looking to make some more changes to your body composition? Have you been taking class after class and spending hours on the elliptical only to find that you're going nowhere?

Whether your goal is to lose weight, gain muscle, tone up or increase your endurance, you're clearly not satisfied with your current level of fitness.

I'm relatively happy with my current level, but I know I still have a little room for improvement. I'm always looking for those workouts that create visible changes.

We're ALL looking for workouts that will create these changes!

So, when I can work out for 10 minutes and have the type of soreness that I had when I got out of bed this morning, it's exciting. It's the type of soreness that you don't feel while you're lying down. It's the kind that hits you when your foot hits the ground for the first time in the morning.

It's exciting! It's thrilling! It's funny to watch me walk around!

Now you're probably wondering what I did that inspired me to write this blog. I sprinted!

Yep! That's it! All I did was a 10 minute sprinting workout. I had a nostalgic workout (high school sprinting shoes and all) which took less time than my warmup.

I ran 100 meters 4 times with my rest time being the walk back to the starting line. The super special secret success formula is as follows:

1. Run
2. Recover
3. Repeat

Write that down - You'll need to know that.

I realize that running/sprinting may not be for everybody. Some of you may not be ready to just get out and start sprinting. However, it doesn't mean that you can't take something from this important lesson.

The bottom line is that if you do something brand new or something you're used to at a more intense level, you will benefit greatly. Make sure you do it safely and don't overdo it. I initially wanted to do 6 sprints. Yeah...no. That wasn't happening yesterday. Later in the week? Sure. Not yesterday. It was my first time sprinting like that in years. AND I FEEL IT!

I base all of my fitness boot camp classes and personal training workouts on this principle. Take something simple or routine and change some variables. Make it more intense. Use a heavier weight load. Do it on one leg. If you want changes in your body, make changes in your workout. Where else is it going to come from?

Ready for boot camp tonight, Jersey City? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment