Thursday, September 16, 2010

Obscene On TV: The Ridiculous Claims of Infomercials

Every day when I wake up I follow the same routine...

I turn on the TV to check the news, sit at the computer to check emails and eat breakfast. It's a fairly low-key routine that requires little thought or energy.

That is, until this morning...

When I stood at my way-too-big TV waiting for it to turn on, I didn't know which channel it had been left on. Whichever channel it was decided it would be a good idea to bombard viewers with infotastic informercials at 8:00AM. Now, I've seen lots of infomercials in my day. We all have. Those hour-long, obnoxiously overenthusiastic, deals that we can't seem to get enough of. But wait...there's more!

If you keep reading this blog entry, we'll even throw in more sarcasm, humor and sharp opinions of fitness infomercials!

So, what product was this informercial selling? I don't want to get in any legal trouble, so I'm not going to say which program this was. Let's just say that it rhymes with "Tip Top Tabs" and makes it seem like you can dance your way to a six-pack in a matter of weeks.

So, why did I get so moved by this infomercial? Why am I writing about this and not the Little Orange Rag That Could or the cleaning product with the magic of oxygen (because no other product on the market could possibly contain oxygen)?

Well, this one made the bold claim that you can lose three inches on your waistline in just 6 days. Yes. 6 days.

I'm going out on a limb here and calling their bluff. They also make a money-back guarantee if you don't. I'm calling their bluff again.

Let's be honest, without the assistance of one crazy diet, surgery or the loss of a limb, nobody is losing that kind of weight (or that many inches) in 6 days. Sorry, "Tip Top Tabs," I don't believe you!

I have been in the fitness business for a long time and I have seen some INCREDIBLE things happen. Just ask some of my clients and Boot Camp members. I have seen people drop 50, 60 and even 70 pounds. I've seen results in my own body over the years. One thing is in common with all of those cases - NOBODY DID IT IN 6 DAYS.

60 Days? Possibly...

Let's face it, it takes hard work, dedication and a positive attitude to develop and maintain a strong, healthy body. It's not impossible. It's VERY possible. It's just not going to happen the way those charming, good looking and very persuasive hosts tell you it will.

But, you can break it into 4 Easy Payments!!!

The sad part is that they're using a number of very calculated marketing tactics in these infomercials that make you watch it longer and eventually get you to order the product:

1. Good Looking Models
2. Unrealistically Easy Result Promises
3. Convenient Exclusion of the REAL Work (Diet & Other Exercise) that goes into getting the body you see on TV
4. Tapping into Viewers' Emotions
5. FREE Gifts (that often suck and you get whether or not you call in the next 10 minutes...speaking of...)
6. That Countdown Clock (I wonder what would happen if you waited until the time ran out)

So, once again, a company comes out with a product that will take business away from true fitness professionals who care about the health and well-being of others. The truth is...

1. Many of the viewers continue to buy fitness product after fitness product hoping for that "magic bullet" (no...not the blender...and no...not that either...). It's a never ending cycle of wasted money that could have gone to Personal Training or Boot Camp Training.

AND

2. Many of the viewers get discouraged when their Popping and Locking doesn't lead to 3 lost inches around the waste in 6 days. What happens next when an individual gives up on their fitness training? It's very difficult to get them back on track again.

Don't get me wrong...

I'm not bashing the product as an ineffective workout. It probably does make you sweat. It probably helps you burn calories. HOWEVER, it takes a lot more than dancing around in your living room to Usher and Ludacris to get a six pack. Pelvic pops and ass-shaking will NEVER replace crunches and hip-thrusts.

Ask the people in the infomercials how they got to be where they are. If they can look you in the eye and tell you they didn't do any crunches, push-ups or jogging, I'll give you the 3 Payments of $19.95 (+$12.95 s&h) for "Tip Top Tabs."

PS - The Company that sells the product sells 11 other fitness DVD products. If they are all so effective, why would they need all of them? Sure, it gives you a choice of workout styles, but I'm pretty sure the idea is for them to make lots and lots of money while your DVD's collect dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment